Summer Home Maintenance Tips
Don’t sweat your summer home maintenance in the scorching Texas heat! We’ve got you covered with a handy checklist to make it quick and easy. Plus, we have a game plan to beat the heat – tackle indoor tasks during the hottest part of the day, and save the outdoor ones for early mornings or late evenings. It’s time to keep your cool and get your home in top shape!
Indoor Summer Maintenance Checklist:
- Check the A/C filter and replace it if necessary. Schedule HVAC cleaning to extend its life and avoid costly A/C repairs.
- Check windows for leaks. Re-caulk seals on doors and windows to help lower energy bills.
- Wash the windows inside and out (and mirrors, on that note). You’ll see clearly when the dirt is gone.
- Install or check weather stripping around doors and windows to keep cool air in.
- Remove lint from inside and outside washer hoses and dryer vents.
- Clean kitchen exhaust fan filter.
- Clean faucet traps (small screens on the end of faucets). Simply unscrew faucet ends with pliers, remove traps, flush out, and replace.
- Deep-clean refrigerator, freezer, oven, and stove. Clean coils and drip trays. Set self-cleaning ovens for overnight when it’s coolest. Check gas stoves for leaks and burner obstructions.
- Check the dishwasher, around the kitchen and bathroom cabinets, and toilet for leaks.
- Seal tile grout.
- Check disaster supply kit is fully stocked for brownouts/blackouts. We all know Texas heat is a killer, so remember to stock plenty of water.
Outdoor Summer Maintenance Checklist:
- Check the sprinkler system for leaks and damage. Repair or replace broken parts.
- Oil garage-door opener and chain, garage door, and all door hinges. Check the seals to be sure they are tight and keep out the heat.
- Tune up the lawnmower and check the fluids.
- Clean gutters and downspouts. The summer storms and high winds we’ve been having can deposit debris in gutters.
- Remove cobwebs and other debris from the porch and deck. Power-wash or scrub both and reseal the deck, if needed, to help prevent splitting, graying, and cracking.
- Inspect the exterior for loose or rotted siding. Power wash siding or brick. This will help eliminate dust, dirt, tree sap, and bird droppings.
- Check the roof and exterior walls for debris or damage and make repairs if necessary. Repair and repaint if necessary. Besides improving curb appeal, this helps protect from the elements.
- Inspect the foundation for cracks or leaks. Foundation cracks can create an entry point for groundwater, insects, and radon gas. Repair as needed.
- Inspect outdoor play equipment and repair if needed.
- Prune trees, flowers, bushes, and shrubs.
Complete Your Home Maintenance Checklist at Cambridge Crossing
Home maintenance is essential for keeping your home in top condition. With Cambridge Crossing’s unbeatable location and amenities, you can be sure you’re putting your hard-earned work and money toward a property that will last.
Nothing could replace having access to seven scenic lakes and eight miles of trails, an exclusive fitness center and outdoor pickleball courts, or lounging poolside in our resort-style cabanas; it’s truly an unbeatable experience living in Cambridge Crossing.
Whatever your reason may be that motivates you to choose Cambridge Crossing as your new home, we want to ensure that it exceeds your expectations and supports every aspect of your lifestyle, from recreation to practicality. Take a look at our exceptional builders, and let us help you find the perfect fit. Begin your new home search in Cambridge Crossing today!